Friday, February 5, 2010

Application Letter

Clarence Chua
35 Science Drive
Singapore 263035

04 February 2010

Mr. John Denver
Human Resource Manager
Alpha Airlines
359 Avation Drive
Singapore 059538

Dear John Denver,

I am writing to express interest to join your esteemed airline as a Cadet Pilot.

My friend, Mr Peter M****, a senior pilot instructor with your subsidiary S**KAir, is extremely happy with his employment and suggested I contact you about joining your World Class Airline. Although I do not possess any prior flying experience, I nevertheless fervently believe that I possess the right attributes and qualities to become a prospective pilot.

As a current athlete in the National Kayak racing team, I strongly feel that the past years of representing Singapore in various races overseas has inculcated in me qualities relevant to the job of a Pilot. Racing has shaped up in me the uncanny ability to perform under immensely stressful circumstances, and yet under such situations maintain my emotional stability so as not to affect my team mates. Also, the discipline, motivation and determination throughout the long seasons of training are in my opinion essential qualities too. Apart from my educational and sporting endeavours, I also am an avid musician, holding a Grade 8 in piano from the Associated Boards of Royal School of Music (ABRSM).

Most importantly, I pride myself in carrying myself with professionalism in whatever I do. I am meticulous, service oriented and know the imporance of being responsible for my decision and actions.

With Alpha Airlines' constant growth and expansion, I believe that my qualities and attributes are inline with what you're seeking. I cannot think of a better organisation to join, as your fleet, route and business niche make a winning combination for a world class airline. I hope to have an opportunity to meet with you to discuss my background and skills, and how they would contribute to your company's vision of providing air transportation of the highest quality.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Yours Sincerely,


Clarence Chua

4 Comments:

Blogger Chua Jia En said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 6, 2010 at 5:44 AM  
Blogger Chua Jia En said...

Hi Clarence
nicely written i would say. However some suggestions you might like to consider.

"Most importantly, I pride myself in carrying myself with professionalism in whatever I do. I am meticulous, service oriented and know the imporance of being responsible for my decision and actions."-- i think it'll be great if you can back this up with some evidence. Being meticulous is a very important aspect of being a pilot as many lives would depend on you. Therefore would be great if youcan show how meticulous you are. ( i'll probably start with the spell check of this cover first)

One more thing would be to ask for an interview or suggest to contact them rather than being passive.. being pro-active is also a nice thing to portray about yourself right?

Nice Job and see you in class ya

Alex

February 6, 2010 at 5:45 AM  
Blogger Benedict Luo said...

Hi Clarence,

I like how you ended off the letter very much, the tone and connection was excellent. Here's how I think here's how you could improve it a bit more.

I think it's better to addressing the HR manager by his last name only, i.e. 'Dear Mr Denver', instead of 'Dear John Denver'. Secondly, I think you could elaborate a little bit more about why you want to be a pilot, what is it about a flying career that you really enjoy. Lastly, as the application also requests that you fulfill a list of medical and physical criteria, it would be good to let them know that you meet all of them already.

Cheers
Ben

February 7, 2010 at 12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Clarence,

I think you did a great job at your application letter. It sounds professional and the content is concrete and courteous. I also think it's good that you mentioned about your friend who is currently working there and is enjoying his job. I feel that it shows that you've taken the initiative to go find out about what this company and training programme is about and that you are definitely not completely ignorant about what the job entails.

In the third paragraph, you mentioned about obtaining your grade 8 in piano. You might want to include why is this relevant to your job application.

In your 4th paragraph, you also mentioned that you are "meticulous, service oriented and responsible". You might want to elaborate on how this is so, like perhaps you worked in the service line before, or held other positions in your cca, or other events which required you to be responsible and meticulous.

Hope I offered some useful comments for your job application!

~ Jia Lin

February 7, 2010 at 1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home