Saturday, April 10, 2010

It's OVER!!

Looking back, it's amazing how time really flies! Looking at my first post in this blog, it seems just like yesterday. Now, we have completed our presentation on Thursday, ie the module is sort of done and over for me and the other groups too who presented that day.

So the module culminated in the presentation. I guess it was a way of seeing how we put everything we've learnt in the module to practice, and what a journey it was. From the survey to the interview to the proposal to the presentation. And at this point I also must add, I've been blessed with really great group mates.

About the presentation, this was a new experience for me in some ways. Firstly, it was the first time I presented with a pre-written script. Usually, I would not see the need to, because I always thought ok as long as my ideas flow out without much pause and hesitation it should be fine. With the speech text however, I found it easier to put across my points because it could be rehearsed, and I knew when and where to put the emphasis, and what comes after etc. Also, I think it is important not to have breaks or awkward pauses in the presentation, because as an audience, I think it can be quite tiring at times to listen to a presentation that doesn't flow.

Also, it was my first time I rehearsed for it. And all I have to say, is I'm starting to believe in rehearsals. It certainly helps in sequencing the flow of your ideas during the presentation,and also trememndously improves the presentation as a whole. For those who get severe nervous breakdowns during presentations, rehearsals definitely help in calming the situation!

To sum it all up (both the presentation and the module), I personally believe that presentation, as with communication, is a skill that can be honed only with actual practice. You can have a checklist of 100 pointers and dos and don'ts, but it won't help, unless you put yourself in situations that allow you to practice. I believe that with practice, after each encounter you can reflect on how was it good and what could have been done better. This I think is somehow more useful than a checklist because experiences always sink deeper into your brain, than the pointers some might try to memorize before the presentation.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Hi Clarence,

I agree that rehearsals are important as practice makes perfect. A lot of awkward pauses and stammering can be eliminated with rehearsals. Please allow me to share my views for peer reviewing.

Firstly, I must say that you were very confident and you spoke with lots of enthusiasm with appropriate voice projection.

Secondly, however, I find that you have referred to your notes a little too much, perhaps due to the great amount of contents you had to cover. Also due to that, you went slightly too fast.

Thirdly, perhaps you had a notebook in your hands, your hands were quite restrained while holding the notebook.

Overall, I found that you have spoken coherently and smoothly, which is really good =)!

April 10, 2010 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Bryan said...

Hi Clarence!

I thought you did a good job with the presentation! And yes, rehearsals are definitely important, as they allow you to manage time more effectively during the presentation. Given that we have only 20 minutes for the presentation, it is definitely not enough to include everything that we want to say within such a short period.

On the whole, your presentation was smooth, correct emphasis was placed at appropriate junctures, and you sounded convincing, well done! =) However, I felt you referred to your script a little too much. Although preparing the script allowed you to place correct emphasis at certain parts of your speech, it however, compromised your eye contact with the audience. I guess that it is the only fault there is, I thought your presentation overall was good!

Cheers,

Bryan

April 11, 2010 at 2:06 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Hi Clarence

I felt that your presentation was good as you were in control. Your pace for the presentation was just right and you managed to inject a bit of humour into it.

However, as andrew have mentioned, you referred to your notebook too much and it was rather distracting

During the Q&A, your answer were clear and straight to the point. well done here.

SiJie

April 14, 2010 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Student A said...

Hi,
I totally agree with you that rehearsals are very important. I too experienced first-hand the difference between having them and not.

As for your presentation, as mention by the fellow classmates, I agreed that the notebook did seem distracting, especially when you start flipping them. Other than that, I feel that the way you carry yourself is good, full of confidence. As Sijie had said, you managed to incorporate a good amount of humor which makes the presentation interesting. You are full of energy and managed to start the presentation in the right tone. Good Job !

xoxo,
Student A

April 20, 2010 at 12:19 AM  
Blogger Jayanthi said...

Having a pre-written script was new for me as well. But it was indeed very useful. I found it easier to craft and tweak my tone and language when there was something tangible to work with instead of just a bunch of ideas in my head.
Your delivery was calm and confident - that's always good. The notebook thing (as others have mentioned) should be noted (for lack of a better term). During peer-teaching I had used a notebook as well and on hindsight, I realise how unprofessional it might have seemed.
Anyway, that's all for now. Good luck with life after graduation!

April 20, 2010 at 1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home